Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Mary's Famous Tex-Mex Enchiladas

Nanny actually got this recipe from her good friend Mary, who is from Texas!  I don't have any measurements for this, because she just taught me to make it in the kitchen!  But I'll list all the ingredients and how you put it together and then you can figure out how much you need, ok?

You need:
Ground beef
Onions
Chili powder or red pepper
Shredded cheddar cheese
Corn tortillas
oil or cooking spray
Old El Paso enchilada sauce ( I like medium)
Texas Pete chili sauce

Ok, so first chop up some onion and saute it, then add ground beef and brown everything.  Season to taste with chili powder or red pepper, depending on how spicy you want it.  Drain the ground beef and set it to the side.

Mix together the chili sauce and the enchilada sauce.  Cover the bottom of your baking dish with this mixture, but save some to pour on top of the enchiladas.

To assemble the enchiladas, get the shredded cheese and the ground beef ready to the side.  You will soften the tortillas by placing them in a small skillet on top of the stove.  You can either use oil or cooking spray.  Obviously, oil works better but cooking spray has fewer calories.  ::shrugs::  Put the tortilla in the skillet just long enough to soften it.  Don't fry it!!  Put it in, flip it over and remove it once it's soft.  I use a big bunch of paper towels in my hand to hold it so that it doesn't burn my palm off.  Put in ground beef, then cheese and close the tortilla on top.  Place it into the sauce in the baking dish and close it with a toothpick.  Continue until you have made all the enchiladas you want. 

Once you have finished making the enchiladas, spoon the sauce mixture over the top and sprinkle with cheese.  I like a lot of sauce so that they don't dry out in the oven.

Bake at 350 degrees until the sauce is bubbling.  I think it's at least 30 minutes, but I'm not sure, so check it frequently the first time you cook them.

Nanny used to make them the night before and put them in the fridge to "let the flavors mix", but then it takes longer to bake.  I make them and then put them in the oven right away, mostly because I'm not really a good planner.

If anyone gets good quantities on this recipe, let me know!


No comments:

Post a Comment